Welcome to Fox Narrowboats
We hire canal boats near to Cambridge and Ely from our marina in March, Cambridgeshire in the UK. Experience comfortable cruising on our fleet of luxury narrowboats. Boats can be hired for weekend, midweek or week breaks, as well as 10, 11 or 14 nights. We also have 2 boats for day hire which take up to 10 people. We are nestled in the Fenland Waterways close to the River Ouse and River Nene. Our warm, friendly family business and boating holiday experience stretches back generations.
On the 8 July 2020, the Chancellor of the Exchequer provided an update on the measures HM Treasury would take to support businesses following the COVID-19 pandemic.
Included in his announcement was a VAT cut to 5% for the tourism and hospitality sectors for a 6 month period (15 July 2020 to 12 January 2021).
In a communication on 14 July, HMRC confirmed to British Marine that the reduction of VAT to 5% for holiday accommodation does not apply to those businesses hiring recreational craft with overnight accommodation, nor does it apply to mooring providers for any vessels. The reduction in VAT to 5% would only apply to those providing holiday accommodation on houseboats.
HMRC have provided further clarification and definitions of “Houseboats” in their guidance notice “Hotels and holiday accommodation (VAT Notice 709/3)”
For those wishing to seek clarification on this definitive position from HMRC, British Marine would recommend contacting the HMRC National Call Centre on 0300 200 3700 and quoting the call reference number “DBS-10912” for confirmation of this position.
British Marine is disappointed by this decision and believes that by not including our industry within the scope of holiday accommodation for VAT purposes, HMRC is supporting anticompetitive activity by favouring other industries in the tourism sector. British Marine will therefore now be challenging HMRC’s position to ensure there is a level playing field for all holiday accommodation providers.
Day Boat Hire. You can hire self-drive boats or charter a bareboat for the day only. You should follow government advice on size of group when making a booking.
Mooring Customers. From 4th July you will be able to stay on board your boat and holiday as normal. The office opened this morning with strict social distancing and a one customer in at a time policy.
The office is now open for mooring customers in person between the following hours
Monday 11am – 1pm
Tuesday 11am – 4pm
Wednesday 11am – 4pm
Thursday 11am – 4pm
Friday 11am – 1pm
Saturday 11am – 3pm
Sunday 11am – 2.00pm
Holidays. We are open for holidays
What we are doing to make your holiday and day trips COVID-19 secure.
We have a dedicated out door reception area where our staff will be able to assist the skipper and a member of the crew.
Some of our handover procedure is now on a video to minimise staff contact in a close environment.
Our handover team will keep personal contact with you to a safe minimum distance.
Boats are triple cleaned between customers, by fogging with an antiviral spray, cleaning with covid approved cleaning fluids and fogging again.
Duvets and pillows are rested for at least 72 hours between use.
Our laundry is washed at 60c and roll pressed.
We want you to be assured that we are doing all that we can for you to have a safe and enjoyable holiday.
Book with Confidence
We all need something to look forward to in these uncertain times. That is why we are offering a free Coronavirus Guarantee. If you are not able to go on your boating holiday due to current UK Government Advice 7 days before your booking you can contact us to:
· Move your holiday to a later date with no amendment charge; or
· Have a full no quibble refund if UK Government advice prohibits you from taking your holiday.
If your holiday is cancelled due to UK Government advice email email@example.com, or write to the booking office, giving us your booking reference number and travel date, and your options are:
1) Transfer to another date in 2020 or 2021 (If the price of your new holiday is more than 10% higher than the original one you will need to pay the difference at the time of booking.
2) If you do not know your dates, we can transfer your money into a secure client account until you are ready to book.
3) Cancel your booking and receive a full refund (If Government advice prohibits you from taking your holiday).
Terms and Conditions
1) The guarantee applies to holidays due to be taken during the period covered by current UK Government advice plus seven days.
2) This guarantee applies to the SARS-CoV-2 / Covid19 strain of Coronavirus.
3) All other terms and conditions are unchanged.
4) We strongly recommend that you take out holiday cancelation insurance for all other risks.
5) If the price of your new holiday is more than 10% higher than the original one you will need to pay the difference at the time of booking.
6) The Coronavirus Guarantee applies due to holidays due take place from May 1st 2020 to October 5th 2020.
7) Refunds will be made within 7 days of the holiday start date.
Explore the Fenland Waterways
‘Discover stunning countryside, English heritage, historic towns & cities’
The Fenland waterways have been described as “a hidden gem” by BBC countryfile’s Adam Henson, who has visited us and been on a Fox narrowboat.
Leave your worries behind and cruise uncrowded waters full of beautiful rivers and open countryside packed with wildlife. There’s lots of tourist attractions and places to visit including the world famous Cambridge University and the grand Ely Cathedral.
Book one of our luxury narrowboats also known a canal boat, barge or longboat.
Day Boat Hire
We offer a narrow boating experience for a day. Our day hire boats are available from 9.30am until 6pm they are popular at weekends so book early. In 2018 we also became known as March Wharf, we are a base for ABC Boat Hire. Gift vouchers can be brought from our online shop.