In 1587 Mary queen of Scotts was beheaded in Fotheringhay Castle. Today all that remains are the castle mound and a few stones.
The buildings to the south side of the main street are dated to the reign of Edward 1. The village church of St Mary and All Saints nestles on the banks of the Nene upstream of the 18th Century stone humped back bridge.
The Falcon is the village Inn located at the East End of Main Street 01832 226254.
Moorings are available in the field adjacent to the church for a small fee payable to the owner. (See notice boards for details). The water point is situated upstream of Fotheringhay bridge and can be accessed with the river Nene Lock Key.